Monday, December 28, 2009

Goodbye Vic.

Dear Vic,

You actually don’t know me. I had recently become a distant fan, truthfully I hadn’t really listened to your music much or know much about you. However your story from your personal tragedy and struggles to rise as a musician was something that really interested me. You recently had come to Vancouver and it was my intention to meet and speak with you, particularly about your journey as a survivor, an artist and as a human. It is with great regret that I didn’t get that chance.

Your passing affects me deeply. I really don’t know what it is; but the story of the challenges you faced and the fact you had come so far, fascinated me. It was an inspirational journey, I wanted to tap into that for myself and have the opportunity to share with others. I would think that many others would have lots in common. Now it seems that you could not escape from the demons you felt, no one will ever likely know the truth. Some say the truth hurts, but not knowing can be just as painful.

Whatever it was, I really wished it hadn’t been resolved in this manner. I wish you had spoken out more, reached out more, but not this. But then, it is also likely not your fault. The truth is, the world really wanted you to stay.

Vic Chesnutt, who was quite open about his mental struggles, died of an apparent suicide on December 25, 2009, he was 45.



1 comment:

  1. Vic’s hospital bills had generated a crushing amount of debt. However, his life was much more valuable than can be measured through a arbitrary means of exchange.

    “I’m not too eloquent talking about these things,” Chesnutt said. “I was making payments, but I can’t anymore and I really have no idea what I’m going to do. It seems absurd they can charge this much. When I think about all this, it gets me so furious. I could die tomorrow because of other operations I need that I can’t afford. I could die any day now, but I don’t want to pay them another nickel.”

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2009/12/singer-songwriter-vic-chesnutt-dies.html

    I wish he was Canadian.

    ReplyDelete

Please ensure your comments are respectful. Anything that is racist, sexist or otherwise offensive will be removed.